The perfect meal for a cold winter night.
2 T olive oil
2 leeks, white and pale green parts only, halves, thinly sliced crosswise
1 med onion, halved and thinly sliced
2 smoked ham hocks
1 t ground cumin
1/2 t cayenne pepper
1 t ground tumeric
1 lb split peas
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 carrots sliced into large coins (optional)
Bacon Crouton Ingredients
2 T butter or ghee
1/4 lb sliced bacon, cut into strips
6 oz day old sliced bread
1/2 t Aleppo pepper or other mild crushed red pepper
Kosher salt and black pepper
Olive oil for drizzling
2 bay leaves
- Add olive oil to Instant Pot and set on sauté mode. Add leeks, garlic, carrots, and onions, season with salt and pepper. Set lid askew and sauté until leeks are bright green.
- Add cumin, cayenne, and tumeric. Cook, stirring until spices are fragrant.
- Make several cuts through the rind on the ham hocks and add to the pot. Cook until fat begins to render. Add split peas and stir to coat. Add 6 cups water or chicken stock, lock lid and set pot on high pressure for 30 mins.
- Release pressure manually. Move ham hocks to cutting board and allow to cool until easy to handle. Remove meat from bones and discard rind or cut it into small pieces and add to the meat. Add meat back to the pot and season with salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Finish with a drizzle of olive oil.
- Melt butter or ghee in a large skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until starting to brown.
- Add bread pieces and cook until croutons are golden brown and bacon is starting to crisp. Add Allepo pepper or crushed red pepper and season with salt.
- Serve soup in bowls topped with bacon, croutons, and a drizzle of olive oil. Serve with lemon wedges, crusty bread, and a salad.