A classic Japanese soup that is better when made from scratch and easy to prepare.
- 1/4 cup dried wakame
- 1/4 cup white miso paste (shirt miso)
- 6 cups dashi*
- 1/2 lb. soft or medium tofu cut into 1/2 in. cubes
- Sliced scallions
- Baby Bella mushroom sliced razor thin
*Dashi is a mild Japanese sea stock that serves as the base in many Japanese dishes.
- Soak wakame in cold water for 15 minutes and then drain.
- Heat the dashi over med-low heat and add the miso paster. Stir to combine.
- Add the tofu and reconstituted wakame, simmer briefly and remove from heat.
- Dish the soup into bowls and top with scallions and mushrooms.