28 oz. can whole tomatoes
14 oz can crushed tomatoes
2-3 garlic cloves minced (or more to taste)
1 lb Italian sausage
1 onion diced
1 can medium ripe or Kalamata olives
4 anchovy fillets
1 T olive oil
8 oz mushrooms, sliced
1/4 C dry red wine
1/2 T dried oregano
1 t Italian seasoning
Crushed red pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in large skillet. When hot brown and set aside.
- Add onions and cook until translucent.
- Add garlic, oregano, Italian seasoning, anchovies, and red pepper.
- Deglaze pan with red wine and add mushrooms and olives. Sauté for 3 mins.
- Add juice from canned tomatoes. Cut tomatoes into chunks and add to pan. Add crushed tomatoes and sausage. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 mins breaking up larger chunks of tomatoes with a spatula.
- Serve sauce over pasta, garnish with fresh basil.