The classic Amercianized Chinese food, a savory omelette with Asian flavored gravy.
- 6 eggs
- 6 sliced mushrooms
- 2 sliced scallions
- 1 carrot, sliced thin
- 1/4 lb. ham, sliced thin and cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup sweet peas
- 1/2 cup bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup Nappa cabbage
- 1 t sea salt
- 1 T Mirin or sake
- 3 T olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Sliced fresh chilis
- 3 cups steamed brown rice
- 1/2 cup chicken or beef stock
- 1 T soy sauce
- 1 T mirin or sake
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 dash of sesame oil or sesame chili oil
- 1 t cornstarch dissolved in 4 t water
- Make the sauce: Add all sauce ingredients except corn starch mixture to a small sauce pan and heat of med-low. Once this is warmed turn the heat to med and add the corn starch. Cook until thickened to a gravy consistency.
- Stir-fry the ham, vegetables, and mushrooms for 1-2 minutes in a wok with 1 T oil over med-high heat and then set aside.
- Beat the eggs with the other ingredients.
- Add some oil to the wok and pour in 1/3 of the egg mixture. When the egg begins to set add 1/3 of the stir-fried vegetables and press into the egg. Flip the omelette after it has started to brown slightly on the bottom and cook for 1-2 minutes more.
- Plate the omelette over some rice and top with gravy, sliced scallions, and chilis.